Bier Brood Bush Style
Bier brood (Beer bread) in the Bush
The Wentzel family took their daughter Ine fishing in the reserve for her 14th birthday and they spent the day feasting bush style. Mom Sonja got this recipe from camping foodie Kobus Marais and it is now a family favourite along with a good old South African bush Braai (barbecue) so as promised here is the recipe.
- 500g self-raising flour
- 1 beer 330ml
- 1/2 tbs salt
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Foil your cooking pot and butter it well bottom and sides
- Mix beer into dry ingredients for about 5 minutes, knead well
While Ine was fishing sister Emma dug a nice round deep hole:
- Place coals in the hole and use 3 empty beer or cool drink cans to hold up the pan.
- Place it on the coals and also place coals on top – let it bake
- Make sure to place nice hot coals on top of the pan lid – let it bake for about 40 minutes!
And there it is a gorgeous Bier Brood
Ready to enjoy with a lovely bush Braai (barbecue)
- Hot and ready to make some nice Boerie (sausage )sandwiches
- Boerie and steak braai – the best South African combination
Girls enjoying their lunch – so much nicer when you have made it all
If you have any questions please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once again thank you to Kobus Marais for this hit of a recipe
Enjoy – Sonja Wentzel